Experiemental media - Final sound piece

SHIBBOLETH 2007



So I explained in my previous blog post that I felt this artwork reminded me both of natural disasters and also of separation. I wanted to work off that, brainstorming my thoughts on what these two things could sound like. 

With these in mind, I went about trying to construct a small library of sounds to experiment with. I first tried the sounds of water, something about water seems to ground a disaster back to earth a bit more. Almost like the calm after a storm. I tried various ways of capturing the sounds for this, including recording underwater. For the rest of my sounds it really varied as to what I would choose, I decided to capture the sound of fabric and folding after waking up to the sunlight in early morning. 



Overall I am fairly pleased with the outcome of this piece, I tried to create a piece that almost reflected the first few seconds before and after a natural disaster. I liked the use of echo's and repetition to build up this atmosphere of uncertainty. When I asked a few friends of what the piece reminded them of, one said it reminded them of water falling through the crack. Another described it as feeling like an abandoned mill. 



Comments

Popular Posts